the use of cutouts, molds and erasers to create mossy and lace-like effects.
Many of these techniques were invented by Irene, and previously were shared only with in-person workshop attendees.
Irene suggests that you either have a solid grounding in right-brain drawing techniques or that you first download and work through her workbook Nature Sketching Basics before attempting the more advanced techniques in this book
This is a fun workbook with three major projects designed for success: you'll draw and shade a cattail (with exploding fluff); you'll draw a furry mouse and its whiskers against a black background, and you'll create a small masterpiece of a mushroom on a mossy log.
In her clear, simple, and lightly humorous fashion, Irene leads you through the various projects in dense detail, leaving nothing to chance. Photos and illustrations clarify every step and topic, and plenty of large, clear photos are provided for you to draw and shade from, although you're encouraged to use your own natural items if available.
You'll be amazed at the soft fuzz on your cattail, the startlingly crisp whiskers on your mouse, and you'll just love your mushroom ~ fit for framing.
Supplies you'll need to complete the projects in this workbook include:
- a medium sketchbook with heavy, smooth paper (9x12 is a good size)
- (2) .5 mechanical pencils loaded with HB and 2B lead
- drafting pencil loaded with 3B or 4B leads
- white eraser for heavy erasing
- kneaded eraser
- small tortillon (if you aren't familiar with this, ask at an art store)
- craft knife
- tapestry or leatherworking needle (dull) or a dull compass point
- a large eraser to carve on (not ArtGum) or a linoleum block
Recommended, but not essential:
- cattails (2-3) to draw
- a scallop seashell
- A skull or bones to draw
Optional items for outdoor sketching include:
- magnifying glass
- umbrella, folding chair/cushion, water bottle.
- watercolor pencils and waterbrush
This workbook is in the form of a PDF which you can download with Adobe Acrobat,
save to your computer, and print out immediately on 8˝ x 11 paper.
It is priced at $9.95.